I’m sure you’ve heard all the hype about body cleanses and detoxing lately right? I’m not talking about the cleanses that promote a crazy amount of weight loss, I’m talking about a true body cleanse – ridding your body and liver of toxins built up inside. Well, is there any truth to it?
The short answer is – YES – but it goes much deeper than that.
Oftentimes people don’t realize that the body has its own extraordinary internal detoxification system. Here’s a brief look at three critical organs involved:
- The Liver: Your first line of defense against toxins is your liver, which acts like a filter in preventing toxic substances contained in foods from passing into your blood stream. The liver helps clear and neutralize toxins, drugs and waste products. It can easily be overburdened by the toxins being stored in the liver and fatty tissues. Overweight individuals store more contaminants and have a more difficult time losing weight.
- The Colon: This organ has bacteria that produce both healthy and unhealthy chemicals. You want to keep your colon flowing regularly since its main role is to flush out toxic chemicals before they can do you any harm.
- The Kidneys: Like clockwork, the kidneys are constantly filtering your blood and getting rid of toxins in the form of urine.
It’s a way to recharge, rejuvenate, and renew, says Page. “Anybody can benefit from a cleansing. The body is coming out of what might be called hibernation. It’s a way you can jump-start your body for a more active life, a healthier life.” – Linda Page, ND, PhD, a naturopathic doctor, lecturer, and author of the book Detoxification.source
Last spring I did a cleanse. I had never done one and really needed to jump-start my body. After the initial 3-day (strict) cleanse I honestly didn’t think that I felt THAT much better. It wasn’t until about a week later, when I was continuing through the 30 day cleanse, that I realized I had rid myself of my caffeine addiction (hello coffee addict with 4 kids! lol) and I felt like I had purpose, clearer thinking and had WAY more energy. I am now planning on doing another cleanse after the holidays to help get rid of all that ‘crap’ we indulge in.
The EPA recognizes over 80,000 chemicals found in our daily use products. These daily products get in our bodies and clog up our liver. Pesticides & insecticides on lawns and in our produce. Preservatives in the food supply. Antibiotics and estrogen in meat & dairy products. Parabens, phthalates, sodium laurel sulfate in personal care products. Cleaning products in your home, schools and workplace. Even environmental toxins inside and outside.
Signs You May be Suffering from Toxin Build-Up:
- Migraines / Headaches
- Sugar Cravings
- Bloating / Gas
- Low or Inconsistent Energy
- Caffeine Addiction
- Binge Eating or Drinking
- Mood Swings / Irritability
- Brain Fog / Difficulty Concentrating
- Fluid Retention
Benefits of a Cleanse or Detox:
- Increase your focus, clarity and energy levels
- Skin and eyes are more radiant
- Heighten your sense of smell, sight, touch, sound and taste
- Help balance & regulate your hormone levels
- Re-align your TRUE appetite and satiety levels (satiety – feeling satisfied)
- Overcome cravings for sugar, fats, alcohol, caffeine & nicotine
- Boost metabolism and enhance digestion
- Balance the PH of your body
- Jump start a weight-loss plan/program
So where do you start? I personally started with a diet/supplement routine that requires a few restrictions but it’s totally worth it. I was very strict in the first 3 days to get my mindset on board and then tapered off to follow these 4 simple rules along with drinking LOADS of water, eating TONS of fresh fruit/vegetables and ensuring I had enough protein in my diet.
- No Dairy
- No Sugar
- No Fried Foods
- No Refined Flour
Want to see if you would benefit from a cleanse or detox? Take my quiz to find out!
Here is a great video by Dr. Mark Hyman. He chats about having a fatty liver. It is right in line with what Shaklee offers as far as supplements and diet to help your body get rid of those toxins.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.This cleanse is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. I am just giving my personal experience on a cleanse as well as research that has shown health benefits.